Buying a home may well be the largest financial investment you will ever make.
Naturally you will want to know as much as possible about the property before you finalize the purchase at closing. It's important to hire a knowledgeable, independent home inspector for advice on the overall condition of the property. The purchase contract usually requires specific time periods for each inspection, and it's critical that these time frames be met. Usually the cost for any and all inspections and re-inspections are paid by the Buyer. Prices can range from $350 to $500 for whole-house inspections.
Some examples of common inspections are:
- Structural - Defects caused by poor construction, soil movement, water or drainage conditions, settlement, fire, etc.
- Environmental Hazards - Including asbestos, lead-based paint, radon gas or any other toxic material.
- Roof - Can include framing members, decking and shingle condition.
- EMP - Electrical, Mechanical and Plumbing - Should include electrical and plumbing systems, built-in appliances, heating and cooling systems, swimming pool/spas, sprinkler systems and security systems.
- Termite - Report would show any visible infestation or visible damage caused by and wood destroying organism (termites, water damage, wood rot).
Remember, no home is perfect. If problems are found, We will help you negotiate through the process. Each area in the Columbia River Gorge have their unique hurdles. In Rural areas of Goldendale, The Dalles, White Salmon, Stevenson, Carson and Hood River wells can be a huge part of your decision, talk to your Northwest Realty Group real estate agent for more information. Each county: Klickitat, Skamania, Hood River, Wasco and Sherman, have different building permit processes each should be research thoroughly, during the process.
Your Northwest Realty Group agent, is familiar with home inspection services and can provide you with a list of names from which to choose. Another good source for finding a home inspector is to ask a friend, or perhaps a business acquaintance, who has had a home inspection and can recommend a home inspector they were satisfied with.