This is a general scope of home improvements that can be made. Many factors will affect the appraiser's opinion of these improvements including, location, value range of home, market trends, age of home and quality of improvement. Although this is a good place to start have an appraiser and inspector professional determine the condition of your Columbia Gorge real estate.
Percentage of your investment that is recouped at resale:
- 150% - Remodeled Kitchen: A kitchen update can reward a seller with a sizable payback. Just remember though; splurging on fancy finishing materials or sophisticated equipment may cut into your profit. Keep it simple.
- 100% - Revitalized Lawn and Garden: A clean cut, green lawn and a tasteful, colorful flower bed will entice potential buyers. The few hundred dollars invested may yield several thousands in profit.
- 100% - Fireplace: Especially if it is energy efficient, such as a gas-powered model, a fireplace holds the promise of cozy family gatherings around the warmth of the hearth. Play it up too with books, blankets and accessories.
- 90% - Second Bath: All it takes is a simple 5x9 foot extra bath to make mornings more civilized for most families. But don't count on a return on extras like a heat lamp or whirlpool tub.
- 80% - Room Addition: For the most attractive return of your investment dollars later on, the added room should be today's popular family room or a third bedroom.
- 60%-80% - Remodeled Bath: A master bath is on many buyer's list, so invest here. If you own only one bath, install two sinks or a double vanity to handle the morning crowd
- 70% - Expanded Master Suite: To keep costs down, try to find extra space to create this wish list item by combining existing rooms and spaces. Heavy structural work entailed by adding square feet diminishes your return. Walk in closets sometimes fit the bill for a master suite.
- 70% - Deck: Outdoor living space is a desirable asset no matter where the locale. No maintenance decking material leaves lots more leisure time, too.
- 50% - Exterior Paint: Sprucing up tired siding, trim, etc., can take years off the look of an older house.
- 50% - Finished Attic: You can expect to recoup more of your investment if you make sure the renovation does not detract from the aesthetics of your home. It is especially attractive as an extra bedroom in a small house.
Check with your agent on this specific in the area.
- 40% - Finished Basement: This is a great way to gain added living space without building a costly addition. If the basement has an access door to the outdoors, the project becomes more valuable.
- 40% - Heating Systems: Replace it only if your old system is dysfunctional. Depending upon a buyer's priorities, a new energy efficient furnace may or may not be a selling advantage.
- 35% - New Windows and Doors: Buyers appreciate changes that improve the look of a house, so attractive new French doors, for example, may be a plus. Energy efficient units are an ecological boom, but may be a resale bust.
- 30% - Garage: Don't go overboard to blend it into your home's architectural style. Its desirability increases if you live in a part of the country with a harsh climate.
- 0% - Pool: Don't add one if you don't have one. If there is an old one, consider fixing it up for the sale or filling it in if it just doesn't seem appropriate for the area. There are not too many pools in the Columbia Gorge area and most buyers don't expect one.
For more tips on what can make your Hood River real estate or The Dalles home ready to sell call us anytime. We would be happy to help you in your listing and get the home sold for the right price.